Welcome to my world. Here at the box I will give you my thoughts about the Patriots. I will post each Saturday after the previous nights game, as well as periodically during the week.
If you are wondering who I am, I am Jeff Johnston the radio voice of the Patriots. Each game will be broadcast on KMAR with myself and "the master of all media", my partner Matt Reynolds.
Fall practice has begun, and to my untrained eye, all is going well. The numbers are up in the 40's throughout the first 3 days. Hopefully we will see around 50 or more when school starts.
The new staff is incredible( okay guys pay me now). Seriously, I have been very impressed with each of the coaches. They all are spending a tremendous amount of time to get this program up and running. They don't just show up before practice and then leave, it's an all day job.
Here are my thoughts on them so far.... with the nicknames I so freely bestow.
Rick"Candyman" Berry.... coaches running backs and is in charge of equipment. He has worked hard to classify everything and can tell you where the 1/2 inch of tape is. Oh, and the running backs look to be sharp.
Joe "Not Nervous" Purvis... Linbackers and strength coach. Amazing job since he showed up in the spring. The kids are all getting much stronger and faster.
Mike "Mad Genius" Wison.... Offensive coordinator and QB coach. He knows it and can teach it
Lynn "Stuck in the Middleton with you" Middleton...Defensive coordinator and DB coach. As always, Lynn will have the DB's and the whole defense on top of things.
Patrick "Sgt.Slaughter" Straughter... Defensive line coach. We were so lucky he arrived across that Big Creek bridge.
Billy " JC" Conides...O-Line. Since my son plays o-line, I really pay attention to Billy and try to understand what he is saying, hard sometimes through that thick Virginia accent. We will have him saying ya'll soon. He can teach in 1 hour what takes others weeks.
Barry "The Man" Sebren...I am really impressed in how well he delegates and trusts his assistant coaches to do their jobs. Too many first time head coaches try to do too much. Barry is there overseeing and doing what a head coach must to build a program. And there are a lot of things to do.
Anyway, that's it for now. Check back soon. An exciting week is upcoming. I'll let you know how it goes.
Saturday, August 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well I have to agree with everything Jeff says about the coaching stafff they are awesome!!! I have to say I didn't think that I would really fit in in a sport full of men but I think that the coaching staff figured i wasn't going away so we might as well put her to good use! The boys have gotten use to me being around and i guess you could say i am their football mom. This program has come a long way and continues to grow in leaps and bounds!! We need parental involvement in the booster club and in things around other activities!!! Please people show your support to these boys and the staff GET INVOLVED !!!! Ya know they call Jeff the voice in the box I guess you can call me The voice For The Boys!!! Stacy Jackson
Post a Comment